Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

Even More Evidence Supporting my Hypothesis that I will Die in an Electrical Fire in this Country

A few weeks ago, the Soviet-style apartment block painted pink caught fire.  Just one apartment, and due to an electrical short.   In an impressive display of fast thinking, the university responded by shutting off the power.  No one was hurt, and by the time the firetruck showed up and the firemen stood around in their suits (not firesuits, not even the down jackets that motorcycle drivers wear in place of protective gear, just suits) everything was under control.  Let's focus on the positive here.  Mbeya actually has a firetruck, which will show up eventually if something is on fire.


See the blackened ceiling on the balcony?


A few days ago, I heard a crackling out the window, looked out, and noticed the garbage pit fire (trash is burned here, because what else do you do with?) had spread into a vast cloud with one old man poking at the edges with a hoe.  It was eventually brought under control, but left a burned swath in the field around the garbage pit.

garbage pit with swath of extra burning.
Whenever I get too worried, I tell myself that I will die in a bus accident instead, and when I'm on a bus I assure myself that I can only die in a fire.  It's a remarkably fulfilling system.

No comments:

Post a Comment