Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

Eldritch Piecharts and Frustrations

Recently, I discovered that the latest and greatest Arduino board has had the SPI pins remapped and is no longer backwards compatible with most shields.  I may have to renounce my undying love for Arduino over this.  On the other hand, they send stickers with their boards.  I like stickers.  Anyway, I decided to do a little hardware hacking and took the board and a soldering iron to a friend because my hands aren't steady enough for precision work.  Unfortunately, my friend does not have power.  We discovered that soldering irons cannot be powered off a solar battery.  Sticking the soldering iron into a charcoal jiko (stove) doesn't work either.  I suppose I do have the satisfaction of saying as long as my problems with electronic things are  incomprehensible to most people, my education is still working.  

The soldering iron will get hot enough to melt the solder,
but it gets too cool the second it is removed from the
immediate vicinity of the hot coals. 

I dealt with my frustration by making a piechart. With vanilla custard, made with cornstarch rather than custard powder, so it came out well.  It shows the number of times that various Elder Things are mentioned across 68 Lovecraft stories.   Click to embiggen such that the legend will become legible.  Note that Shub-Niggurath never appears not anteceded by an exclamation point, because She's all special that way.

I am still bad at pie crusts.  

1 comment:

  1. At this point you should really sing a lovely aria in d minor about how you don't know if you love Arduino anymore.

    ReplyDelete