Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

In Which I Invigilate Supplementary Exams

Some of my students failed my exams at the end of last semester.  The result being that I have to give them another exam.  Except not all the students who failed, because we had a department-wide epidemic of failure, the response to which was to "standardize" (curve?) all the student grades so that not as many failed.  Did I miss something that would make this make sense as a way to identify and fix problems in the educational system?  Make our institution more respected as one where people have to work to receive a degree?  Then I talked to another lecturer who teaches three modules, and with no standardization, he will have about 150 supplemental exams to grade.  Suddenly, a reason for standardization appears.  Or better yet, not giving supplementary exams.  It's not like standards are even that high!  A=81-100, B=61-80, C=41-60, D=21-40, F<21. Doesn't that make you feel better about the C students in the US?  Anyway, I'm giving a second round of exams, which are very similar to the first but with different numbers and phrasing.  I am also explaining to students who tell me there must have been a mistake made that yes, that was really your exam mark, and no, I am not going to change your grade, particularly if you keep changing your story on why you didn't turn in something important.  Telling me that you came to me for a positive solution and only found a negative response (Tanzanians communicate very indirectly, so this is about as close to "you're mean!" as it's going to get) will not help.  So it hasn't been the best of days.  I don't like saying "no and this conversation is over" to crying people but the conversation had lasted an hour already and I hadn't even received an admission of lying, despite me pointing out that it was happening.  Why do I have to be the adult in the room, anyway?  I spent the weekend at a sports and games thing in Njombe put on by and for volunteers and my great contribution was the sword fighting (with padded pvc pipes) where I got to scream and hit things and managed to chase one young gentleman of the Peace Corps all the way across a basketball court while he cowered and yelled "get away from me you crazy woman!" This was very satisfying.  I think it would be unethical to use the same method on my students.

In the name of Mbeya region, I defeat Iringa region's champion.  



2 comments:

  1. Hit him! He will block. If he doesn't, he will block next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. still an excellent, excellent philosophy.

    ReplyDelete