Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

In Which I Continue to Almost Teach

I've been grumpy this past week.  No particular reason, I think I'm just losing patience with the things of the culture that annoy me here as I approach the end of my service.  I'm getting tired of flaky scheduling and stupid questions* about U. S. culture.  I'd rather not come into the office and have to field questions like "if you accept same-sex marriage in your country, what will you do if a man you want to marry marries another man instead of you?"  How is that any different from asking what I do if a man I want to marry marries another woman?   And why do all questions I get revolve around who I'm going to marry, anyway?

Then of course, there is the teaching situation.  I couldn't teach today because I found out my class period is scheduled for the same time and place as another class period.  I couldn't learn this last week because the other lecturer didn't bother teaching last week.  Grump.

At least today I got an email from a student asking me an interesting question that I didn't know the answer to!  I love it when that happens.  The kid went to my Linux seminar and now wants to know how to play a music file straight from the terminal in Linux.  I like working straight from the terminal for a lot of things, but it has never even occurred to me to try doing that.  For the record, I  suggested mpg123 and installed it myself. So far it is working quite well, if testing my knowledge of regular expressions in selecting multiple files to play.

*From my students, there are no stupid questions, because just getting them to ask any questions is a victory.  From people I may or may not know who start asking me about marriage apropos of nothing, there are plenty of stupid questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment