Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

Tanzania's Ugliest Kanga, Half Now in Skirt Form


Anyone can dress in a drab and unimaginative yet inoffensive fashion.  Americans, for example, are wedded to their jeans and t-shirt uniforms.   It takes planning and a good dressmaker to be this much of a fashion disaster.  The other half of the kanga is going to a friend of mine in the states, in exchange for a book of raunchy classical Latin poetry.  This seems a fair trade.

I am very pleased with this dressmaker, really.  I had such a fabulous dressmaker in Morogoro, I was worried about finding another lady. They are everywhere, really, but one has to find a good one who can surprise with the arrangement of the fabric.  Also, a good friendly relationship is important.  In this case, the border of the kanga was turned into a waistband and a ruffle along the bottom, which I rather love.  There is a small morning market near the school, and the first time I went there, I got the usual calls of "mzungu"* and gave my usual response, which is a long Kiswahili speech about how I have a name and people should greet me, after all, it's not like I yell "mtanzania" or "mafrica" at people.  The result was that now an entire group of mamas in one corner of this market remember my name, I buy things from them, they help me find things, keep other people from hassling me, I am learning their names, and overall going to the market is now a very pleasant experience.  I asked one of these mamas about finding a dressmaker and she directed me to a friend of hers, who made this skirt for me, after which I had to show it off to the mamas in the market who are my new friends and who all have opinions about what sorts of things I should get made next.   This is why I have too many clothes.  But I abandoned quite a few that I wasn't so pleased with back in Morogoro, so I have to start over now.

*white person/foreigner.  It's nice that my entire character can be summed up in a single word that describes my race that complete strangers can and do yell at me.  

2 comments:

  1. In the spirit of furthering the fashion disaster, I add my opinion on how to complete this outfit:

    1) add a European business jacket, maybe pinstripe, but definitely formal, air-conditioned office flavor
    2) wear a tank top of stretchy material of color to clash with the skirt
    3) add shoes that are pretty yet impractical
    4)finish with cheap ankle sport socks

    Don all. Then change hastily into something less painful to the aesthetic sensibilities.

    P.S. Will the fashion police come for me if I say I like your new skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I really like my new skirt, so the fashion police can lock us in a cell together.

    ReplyDelete