Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

A Cheese of One's Own

Like many if not most volunteers, I have developed an odd obsession with cheese.  Part of my inability to keep cheese in my house has been heretofore the lack of refrigerator, a problem now remedied.  The other barrier to a cheesier lifestyle is cost.  The obvious solution, therefore, is to attempt my own cheese.  This requires self-reliance and an understanding that cheese makes many appearances in olden times (at least in the fantasy novels I read where a rind of cheese often appears in adventurers' packs or accompanying the dinners of prisoners) and is therefore not something which can only be produced by the magical ways of the gods of the modern grocery store.  Fortunately, the Peace Corps cookbook includes recipes, and as it turns out, cheese making is really easy.



Needed: citric acid, aka lemon juice.

Boil milk in improvised double boiler.
Once the lemon juice is added, the hot milk will almost immediately
separate into curds and whey, holy chemical reactions, Batman!

Straining through the cheesecloth that my mama thoughtfully
sent me from the states. 

The leftover whey can be used to make bread in place of water or milk. 

Pineapple with cheese.  Today, I win life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment