Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

Friday Fabulosity

It has occurred to me recently that I am forgetting how to be fabulous.  Recently I was in Dar, and encountered a nice coffee shop, catering to Europeans, in a shopping center which had an escalator, and realized suddenly that I was dirty.  It was, perhaps, understandable, given that I had been gallivanting about Dar, in all its glory of heat, sweaty cramped buses, leaking sewers, and dust.  Nor had I actually showered the day before, because I was out late and the people I was sharing a guesthouse room were already sleeping when I got in, and so I did not avail myself of an admittedly quite nice hot shower that doesn't even administer electric shocks when one touches the faucets.  Normally, a superfluity of dirt and sweat does not faze me in this country, it seems rather an inevitable condition, and if I fail to bathe for days on end I start getting compliments on the shininess of my hair.  I gave up worrying about the state of my clothes even before that of my person.  However, when I walked into a nice European style coffee house inhabited by clean Europeans, I felt distinctly uncomfortable and dirty.  This is the sort of place that, in the states, I might have swept grandly into on my way to the opera, freshly bathed and dressed to the nines, and languidly ordered "something fabulous"* and now I just feel out of place.  So now that I have a fast internet, and neither money nor teaching for one more week, I am spending time on the web finding delightfully fabulous and decadent things, and I present to you, Delilah Jones, the High Flying Floozy.



*Baristas get used to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment