Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

Sonnets from the Peace Corps Volunteers: Love Amongst the Filth



When I saw you, dirty, broke, and hungry,
My diarhhea paused, my eyes were stars
To hear your tales of exploits strange and sundry
Regaled from plastic chairs in sordid bars.

Your smile infects my soul and oozes, puslike,
Delight across my face to root like fungal
Infections that cause temperatures to spike
Across my throbbing microfloral jungle.

Come lie with me on beds of patterned blankets,
Thin shield against the cold bespidered ground,
We'll wake and walk to greasy fried food banquets
Then board our separate buses and abscond.

Enduring as amoebas is our passion,
With boundless patience, grit, and adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment