Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

Things They Never Told Me About Leaving Peace Corps


  • I'm still dirty and broke, but now I have no excuse for it.
  • I still have the reaction to food of an abused child.  Airlines gave me butter.  They gave me butter.   Not stealing all the butter felt wrong even though I knew I would be given more.
  • People who had no reason to care about me were sad that I left.
    • The last time out of the Peace Corps office I said goodbye to the gate guards and they yelled at me to come back and give them hugs.
    • The manager of the hotel where I always stay in Dar stopped me on my way to my airport taxi to give me a gift.  One of the ubiquitous African-ish sculpted little wooden elephants that are in all the tourist shops.  I don't care.  I don't know this man's name and he gifted me on departure.
  • It's not being overwhelmed by the grocery stores that's necessarily the problem, it's the not remembering how they work.  There are little plastic bags in the fruit section?  I'm supposed to put the fruit in them?  The fruit gets weighed and priced non-ambiguously?  That's weird.  Is this true in the U.S. as well, or is this just China?
  • The internet remains the most important thing in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment