Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

In Which I Cannot be Sick

I have a cold.  This is not unexpected.  Peace Corps training conferences, in addition to being a waste of time, are a great opportunity to get sick.   Between the buses, the other volunteers, and the long tiring journey through different climates, sickness is almost inevitable.  But I can't be sick.  I have a show to headline on Saturday!  Really!  Some people in Tanga are holding a fundraiser show for a school, invited me to perform, and are using an old picture of me to advertise it!

The several years old picture of me advertising the event.
My sister and I were so good at makeup then.  

I am so excited about doing this.  There's a show!  I am in it!  It's not going to be my best performance ever given my work out opportunities here are limited by weather and a less-than-totally-nutritious diet.  Still, I get to be in a show, and I will be fabulous!  If I am technically bad, well, no one else in TZ does this, so I benefit from a lack of comparison, and I will at least feel fabulous.  Normally, I can barely manage cleanliness; fabulosity is right out.  I even have a costume I bought out of the piles of ~$0.30 used clothes you can find in the market.  I have a skintight leopard print shirt, a lavender and black lace corset to go over it, sparkly black leggings and a lacy fringed black miniskirt to go over my rear for cultural ideas of modesty.  I'm going to look ridiculous and it's going to be great.   If there are any last minute cancellations I might end up doing a little belly dancing as well, assuming the organizers meet my demand of having my silks and belly dance far apart in the program if that happens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment