Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

Seminar! Done!

Last session was last night.  The teaching was probably the worst, because I get flustered and lose my groove when the power goes out and I have to switch from slideshows to the one small and terrible whiteboard and I can no longer have people practice things on their computers.  Nonetheless, I'm really proud of this seminar.  I worked really hard on it, and I did it right.  It wasn't my idea to have a seminar, it was my counterpart's idea.  I am not telling people what they should learn, I am providing instruction in response to a specific request.  I did a lot of work, but there were several other lecturers involved.  I did the main teaching, but that's because I am the only one who has ever worked with a Linux server or who understands a terminal interface right now.  I could have gotten more women involved (there were 2 out of about 25).  That's the part I'm not proud of.  At the end of the seminar, I think this was really well received and my counterpart is considering having another seminar at the end of this coming semester.  I will be on my way out of the country, but he had a good start to his plan.  A university SHOULD provide the occasional free seminar to educate the public!

Group picture at the end.  Can you spot the white person?

One of the students gave me a pen with a hand-carved wooden shaft. Aww! 

No comments:

Post a Comment