Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

In Which I Run Away from Site for the Weekend

Sometimes it just has to be done.  I got tired of my house after a week of grey skies with rain every day (I've blessed the rains down in Africa, and now I'm over them), fatigue and a low fever (fevers: so much more fun when Ella Fitzgerald sings about them), and sitting around by candlelight in the evenings because all the light bulbs except the kitchen's are now burnt out and while the school is responsible for replacing fluorescent tube lights and has been apprised of the situation, nothing has yet been done about it because before a government institution can buy anything they are required to go through a procurement process that is approximately as efficient as building a spaceship out of cats.    Also, I was supposed to attend a seminar on invigilation (what is there to say about invigilating exams that can possibly require an entire seminar?) so I really really wanted to be absent.  I went 2 hours down the road to Tukuyu, which is right above the Great Rift Valley, and conveniently enough, there is a hospitable volunteer who is more than happy to have guests show up to watch silly musicals while coloring.   She is having the same problem I am having with dead fluorescent tube lights the school is bado on replacing, but at least I am experiencing this problem in a new and different location.

We took a nice sunrise walk to watch the sun come up over the valley.  I am not a professional photographer, or even a particularly good photographer, so I really can't capture the scale of the drop into the valley from where we were over to the mountains on the far side.  Lake Nyassa/Malawi (depending on which side you are on) was visible later in the morning, but barely.









No comments:

Post a Comment