Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

In Which Tanzanians Say Things About Themselves that Make me Happy

This isn't normal, really.  Typically the Tanzanians will complain that the reason Tanzania is a developing country still is because they are lazy, which bugs me and I blame colonialism.  I realize as much as the next person who pays attention to the US Republican party in its current  incarnation, that anyone who doesn't have enough to live on is a lazy conniving twit who dreams of stealing the money for free healthcare from the mouths of the Hardworking Honest (white) Americans who never got any help from anyone (honest!) and therefore everyone who isn't them can go die.*   And it really, really bugs me that Tanzanians believe of themselves, and despite all evidence, that they don't work hard.  The internet even has a meme for this.



But recently in my brand new university job to which I am driven and whereat I get free lunches, my new colleagues tell me that one of the good things about Tanzania is that the people, while poor, are happy, and manage to live and be happy despite extreme poverty.  Coming from a nation famous for having people jump out of buildings when a stock market crashed this is a perfectly lovely quality to have.

* I might have a liberal bias.

No comments:

Post a Comment