Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

In Which I Finally See Mount Kilimanjaro

The glaciers on top will be gone by around 2050 due to global warming.


Slightly before dawn, while waiting for a bus and reading Tamburlaine the Great, which is a truly epic play to read in the shadow of such a mountain with its dying glaciers.  Were I Basho, I would write really good haiku about this.  I am not happy with what I wrote, which is thus:

World conquering sword,
Glaciers of a thousand years,
Ice, at least, won't rot.

Even glaciers melt.  
You, who chased stars, dimmed their eyes,
your kingdom is gone.  


2 comments:

  1. A magnificent magic mountain..
    I was lucky enough to see it on a sunny day with clear blue skies in 1980!
    I'll never forget that, and the ice cap WAS bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!

    I actually just got corrected on this. Apparently, it's not global warming, it's deforestation, such that the warm air from the serengetti and Ngorongoro can now blow across and reach to the summit without being broken by the trees that used to be here. Back in the day, Tanzania was as lush as the Congo.

    ReplyDelete