Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

Stories of Murder: Dead Babies

As told to me from a volunteer in a village near Iringa:


"""
When I got to school in the morning as usual to teach, some of the other teachers came to me and said 'we have a situation.' They took me to the school's social club, essentially a bar, and showed me the choo[toilet].  It was a pit latrine, so you could just look down it.  There was a dead newborn baby floating there.  The teachers said to me, 'you teach biology, what can you do about this?'*  So I had all the pregnant ladies in the village come to the school, and the lady who had been pregnant but now wasn't confessed.  It turned out that she had had this baby with a man not her husband, and her husband, who didn't live in the village, was coming home soon.  There isn't a police station in my village, we had to call the next village over.  Their police have a vehicle, but no money for gas.  I ended up paying for gas out of my own money so the police could come.  The lady ended up convicted and sentenced to life in prison, but she paid off the police and is back in the village.
"""

*There are less qualified people to ask in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment