Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

In Which I Realize that Significant Bandwidth is Necessary for Identity Theft

I just became a victim of theft.  Nothing terribly serious, and actually I got my wallet back sans 15,000 =/, so that is all right best beloved, but it was a creepy experience in which I learned many valuable lessons.  One being that graphical user interfaces on the web are not designed for developing countries.   I know this because in the creepy panic of post-theft, my initial instinct was to cancel all of my credit cards.  This means that I have to visit bank websites from Tanzania, which takes bloody forever and a day due to graphical security measures.  By forever and a day, I mean Chase's website would sometimes hit a logoff timout before it finished loading.  The good news about this is that it would seem to indicate that online identity theft is a problem only of high bandwidth.  The bad news is that I have low bandwidth.   I began cursing ING for their nice little graphical pin which, in retrospect, is a fairly reasonable response to keyloggers.   It does, however, mean that online banking is not really a viable option for developing countries, which is a problem in and of itself.

I also learned that thieves are extremely quiet and that the Peace Corps Safety and Security people are surprisingly sympathetic and helpful even to the trainee who routinely brings a book to all training sessions or falls asleep.  Hamna shida darlings, lesson learned on carelessness, and it only cost me about $10 and some peace of mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment