Disclaimer

The content of this blog does not reflect the positions of the Peace Corps and is solely the responsibility of the author.

In Which I am Asked to Run a Seminar

My counterpart (the host country national who works with me most closely), who is a wonderful man and also the fastest walking Tanzanian I have ever encountered,*  had an idea.  He wants to hold a week long evening seminar for both interested people at the university and people in town on using Linux.  Both basics (how to get it, how to update it, free software alternatives to common proprietary software) and more advanced system administration topics (creating users and groups, running openldap or apache servers) will be covered.   I could not support this more.  Which is good since I've been asked to teach it.  I'm fairly happy about this.  This is, after all, what I'm here for: people want to learn things for which there is a lack of trained professionals on hand, so Peace Corps loans them some professionals.  The downside being that to get this started I need to have a course proposal and outline drafted out by Monday in order to show administration types so we can get official permission to do this and make it happen.  I think also that my counterpart will make sure that most of the organization details get taken care of if I can make sure I am prepared to teach this.  Another reason why my counterpart is wonderful.

In other good news, I have managed to convince my multimedia class that I am an arbiter of good taste.  One of the students told me he has written and recorded a piece of music and would like to get my feedback on it.  I attribute this to my choice of Metallica's "Enter Sandman" for an example song in the classes on editing audio.

*I get sidewalk rage in this country, people walk so slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment